Loftus Road is a football stadium in London, England. It’s where the Queens Park Rangers play.
Back in 1981, it was the first football stadium in Britain to have a fake grass field called Omniturf. They used it until 1988 when they switched back to real grass.
From 1996 to 2002, the rugby team London Wasps also played here with QPR. And from 2002 to 2004, the Premier League team Fulham used it because their regular stadium was being fixed. In 2020-2021, AFC Wimbledon also played here while they waited for their new stadium.
Other teams like the Jamaican and Australian national soccer teams have used this stadium too. And in 1985, a boxer named Barry McGuigan became the featherweight champion here.
In 2019, the club gave the stadium’s name to The Kiyan Prince Foundation, a charity named after a former QPR youth player. So, it was called the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium. But in 2022, the club said it will go back to being called Loftus Road for the 2022-2023 season.
The field at Loftus Road was first used on October 11, 1904, by an amateur team called Shepherd’s Bush. But during the First World War, this team was disbanded. In 1917, Queens Park Rangers (QPR) started playing at Loftus Road because their original ground at Park Royal was taken over by the army in February 1915. Back then, Loftus Road was just an open field with a small building.
In 1919, they took one of the stands from Park Royal and put it up at Loftus Road, creating the Ellerslie Road stand. This was the only part of the stadium with a roof until 1968. Then, in 1972, they replaced it with a new stand. This stand could hold 2,950 people.
In the beginning of the 1931-32 season, QPR left Loftus Road and moved to the nearby White City Stadium. However, they ended up losing £7,000 and decided to return to Loftus Road for the start of the 1933-34 season.
In 1938, a new covered terrace was built at the Loftus Road end of the stadium, which could hold 6,000 spectators. This increased the overall capacity of the stadium to 30,000, and it cost £7,000 to build (with £1,500 contributed by the QPR Supporters Club).
On October 5, 1953, they used floodlights at Loftus Road for the first time during a friendly game against Arsenal. The highest number of people ever recorded at the stadium was 35,353 during a game against Leeds United on April 27, 1974.
New stands were added at the School End in the summer of 1980, and one year later, they added stands at the Loftus Road end. During this time, they also installed executive boxes in the lower tier of the South Africa Road stand and put in an artificial pitch. The stadium could hold 27,000 people at this point, and it was considered one of the most modern stadiums in Britain because it had been completely rebuilt over a period of 13 years from 1968 to 1981.
From the summer of 1994 until the start of the 2022-23 season, Loftus Road was an all-seater stadium, and they added seating in the lower Loftus Road stand.
The stadium has a capacity of 18,439.