Vicarage Road is a stadium in Watford, England. It’s where the Watford football club plays. The stadium has seats for everyone, and right now, it can hold 22,200 people.
Watford has been playing at Vicarage Road since 1922 when they moved from Cassio Road. The stadium was officially opened on August 30, 1922, by Col. Charles Healey of Benskins Brewery when they played against Millwall. Besides Watford, the stadium was also home to Wealdstone F.C. from 1991 to 1993, and the rugby union team Saracens played there from 1997 until they moved to their new home at Copthall Stadium in north London in February 2013. In 2002, Watford bought the stadium from Benskins but later had to sell it and lease it back because they needed money. However, with help from fans and a concert by former owner Elton John, they were able to buy the stadium back in September 2004.
The Vicarage Road Stand was built after the 1992-93 season. Before that, it was just an open area where people stood. They built this new stand with seats to follow the Taylor Report rules and make the stadium better. It cost £2.3 million and could fit 5,800 people. They paid for most of it with the £1.2 million they got from selling Bruce Dyer in 1994. The Rookery Stand was built during the 1994-95 season. It used to be another open area, but they turned it into a seated stand to fit more people, about 6,960. It’s bigger than the Vicarage Road Stand and has two levels with offices for the club. It cost £1.6 million to build. In the 2014-15 season, they renamed the stand to the Graham Taylor Stand. It was previously named after Sir Stanley Rous, the former FIFA president. An official renaming ceremony took place on November 29, 2014, as a tribute to Graham Taylor, the club’s most successful manager. The Sir Elton John Stand is on the east side of the stadium and the changing rooms and tunnel. It was fully opened on December 13, 2014, with Sir Elton John at the ceremony.
They played their first night game at Vicarage Road in 1953 when they added lights to the Main Stand. In 1960, they replaced those lights with four tall towers in the corners of the stadium.